Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Peanut Butter and Syrup

Blog subject for this week is favorite food from childhood. I can remember that vividly.

First you take a big thick slice of my grandmother's home-baked bread and slather it with butter. Then you mix up a bowl of peanut butter and maple syrup. Dip the buttered bread in the syrup. Ambrosia!

Of course I don't allow myself to eat that now.

My grandmother also fried brains. Can you imagine a child eating fried brains . . . willingly? But I did.

2 comments:

  1. Peanut butter and syrup was a breakfast and snacktime staple in my family when I was growing up. Glad to see we weren't the only family that did this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I usually now limit myself to peanut butter on waffles and the occasional French toast breakfast. A bit more social acceptance, but not quite the same. It does have the benefit of adding some protein to an otherwise sugary breakfast.

    Mom used to feed us liver. I remember once at Grandpa Hendrickson's house we had cow tongue, and his Spam was good. I mean, what's in Spam?

    ReplyDelete