Friday, May 11, 2012

NGS 2012 Day 3

   It's almost over.
   Not that the National Genealogical Society 2012 convention here in Cincinnati hasn't been great, but fatigue is starting to set in. Several people I talked to today expressed the same thing.
   I'm anxious to get home and try to put into practice some of the things I've been told. I refrain from saying "learned." That remains to be seen.

   The day started with Elizabeth Shown Mills presentation "Okay, I 'Got the Neighbors,' Now What Do I Do with Them?!" The large meeting room was packed for the discussion of Mill's FAN Club principle -- Family, Associates and Neighbors -- which could be developed to create a proof argument for identity or origin.
   I had two programs today on research in Pennsylvania.
   In the morning, Kay Haviland Freilich, discussed research sources and techniques. In the afternoon Christine Crawford-Oppenheimer showed how to get family records out of the massive Pennsylvania Archives, either through the 138-volume printed set or the free fold3 online version.
 
   Just before lunch, Suzanne Hahn outlined "Navigating the Maze: Finding Indiana Records Online."
   Shortly before the last session of the day I had the pleasure of meeting Pat Richley-Erickson, better known on the web as DearMYRTLE. It was the first time I had met her in person, so I introduced myself by my SecondLife user name. We had known each other through SL for several years.
   Shortly after that I ran into fellow official blogger Linda McCauley and we both headed to one of the demonstration areas to hear an introduction to a new online genealogy system called Geungle (say it as jungle). It's still pre-beta so not much can be said at this time. See Linda's blog for a picture of the young couple developing it.

   Tomorrow, the last day:

  • Harold Henderson: "Indirect Evidence: What to Do When Perry Mason Isn't on Your Side"
  • Elizabeth Shown Mills: "Information Overload? -- Effective Project Planning, Research, Data Management & Analysis
  • Thomas W. Jones: "Solutions for Missing or Scarce Records"   

No comments:

Post a Comment